Friday 8 June 2012

My Big Fat Greek Salad


Yes, it's been about a million years, and I'm very sorry about my posting absence. With all the moves I've been making to set up my own business, and the Jubilee celebrations, my mind (and tummy) has been otherwise engaged! However, that being said, I've still been cooking, and, still eating- what with all those street parties going on, I'd be a fool not to!

Well, now all of those festivities are over…and it's friday, I well and truly feel like a treat. And for me that means one thing- cheese! More specifically, Feta. Really is there anything better? So, away I went, to my local Turkish deli and picked me up some lemon olives, creamy feta, spicy sausage and fresh bread. Hello taste.

Now, I know it's been a week of British celebration, but seriously, the Mediterranean diet is a force to be reckoned with. It is recognised as being one of the most nutritionally recommended cuisines as it is rich is such key players as olive oil- whose high levels of monounsaturated fats are proven to reduce heart disease, and use a fine spread of fresh fruits and fish regularly. Healthy, yes, but more importantly, this is a taste sensation.

Now, I do enjoy the odd Nando trip from time to time, but must admit whenever I go, I head straight for the Med Salad. If you haven't ordered this before people, you are missing out. So, on a day like today, I thought, why not bring a little Peri-Medi home? For you all you carnivorous souls out there, stay tuned- a good salad should always satisfy your healthy needs as well as your hunger pangs. No, it is not just something girls order as a appetiser, or a side to a rib-eye steak- this is a main event!

Here's how it's done:

Ingredients

1. Handful of very ripe cherry tomatoes
2. 2 inches of cucumber
3. 10 fresh pitted olives 
4. 1/8 lemon
5. 80g feta cheese
6. A few slices of spicy sausage
7. 1 ripe avacado
8. 1/2 spring onion
9. 3 tbsp extra virgin oil
10. 1 floret of cauliflower (par boiled)
11. Handful of ice-berg lettuce

Steps

1. Half the cherry tomatoes, then place in a wide bowl, and squash.
2. Finely slice the spring onions and lettuce
3. Roughly chop the cucumber, cauliflower and mix again.
4. Finely chop the lemon, add the olives and feta cheese.
5. Cut the avocado and the olive oil, and toss lightly.
6. Finely thinly slice the sausage and tear and add to the top.
7. Finely drizzle a bit of oil and add salt.

Grab a fork, and get to eating. This is so good for you, dessert can be guilt-free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment